STMicroelectronics to acquire majority stake in SiC wafer manufacturer Norstel

STMicroelectronics Pty Ltd

Tuesday, 12 February, 2019


Semiconductor company STMicroelectronics has signed an agreement to acquire a majority stake in Swedish silicon carbide (SiC) wafer manufacturer Norstel. After closing, ST will control the entire supply chain for a portion of its SiC devices at a time of constrained global capacity and positions itself for a significant growth opportunity.

Headquartered in Norrkoping, Sweden, Norstel was founded in 2005 as a spin-off of Linköping University. It develops and manufactures advanced 150 mm silicon carbide bare and epitaxial wafers.

ST will acquire 55% of Norstel’s share capital, with an option to acquire the remaining 45% subject to certain conditions which, if exercised, will result in total consideration of $137.5 million, funded with available cash.

“ST is the only semiconductor company with automotive-grade silicon carbide in mass production today,” said Jean-Marc Chery, President and CEO of STMicroelectronics. “We want to build on our strong momentum in SiC, both in volume and breadth of applications for industrial and automotive, targeting continued leadership in a market estimated at more than $3 billion in 2025.

“The acquisition of a majority stake in Norstel is another step forward strengthening our silicon carbide ecosystem: it will boost our flexibility, improve yield and quality, and support our long-term silicon carbide roadmap and business.”

Please follow us and share on Twitter and Facebook. You can also subscribe for FREE to our weekly newsletter and bimonthly magazine.

Related News

BluGlass enters JDA with LED company Bridgelux

The two parties are collaborating to develop cascade LEDs using BluGlass's remote plasma...

Wi-Fi 6 certification is here

The Wi-Fi CERTIFIED 6 certification program from Wi-Fi Alliance — the worldwide network of...

Digi-Key announces distribution partnership with Directed Energy

Digi-Key Electronics has signed a global distribution partnership with Directed Energy — a...


  • All content Copyright © 2019 Westwick-Farrow Pty Ltd